My father’s garden is full of self-cultivated pickles and cucumbers. Can you think of a better idea than to pickle them? When you keep them in a vacuum jar you can keep them for months, but let’s bet you will finish them faster? I love pickles and they are my favorite for tapa evening.
- 500gr of pickles
- 500gr of cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons of mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon of black peppercorns
- Cayenne powder
- 1l of vinegar
- 700ml of water
- 450gr of sugar
- 100gr of salt
- Sterilized jars
1. Heat a big cooking pot on a high fire.
2. Add the water, vinegar, sugar and salt.
3. Bring this cooking pot to a boil.
4. In the meanwhile, cut or peel the cucumbers. I don’t cut my pickles.
5. Place the vegetables in a sterilized jar.
6. With the pickles I added 2 tablespoons of mustard seeds and a branch of thyme.
7. With the cucumbers I added a half tablespoon of cayenne powder and some black peppercorns.
8. Once the water in your cooking pot is boiling, you add the mixture to your sterilized jars. It’s important that your jars are filled until the top.
9. Close the sterilized jar.
10. Let the veggies pickle for at least 24 hours, then they are done.
11. Tip 1: unopened jars will remain good for months, keep them in a dry, dark and cool place.
12. Tip 2: opened jars you must keep in the fridge, and you can keep them for 1 month.
13. Tip 3: if you use vacuum jars, after closing, you must place on their head for the first couple of hours after filling them.