I had the request to make a pie for a children’s birthday party. What do children like? Chocolate and smarties of course and I made this amazing chocolate pie. It’s super creamy on the inside but still crispy, because of the smarties. Happy kiddo’s means happy me.
Big chocolate kisses, cece.
For the pie:
- 330gr of dark chocolate
- 330gr of milk chocolate
- 300gr of butter
- 300gr of powdered/icing sugar
- 10 egg whites
- 125gr of flour
- Parchment /baking paper
For the glazing:
- 120gr of dark chocolate
- 60gr of butter
- 80gr of powdered/icing sugar
- 300gr of smarties
For the pie:
1. Preheat your oven on 175°C.
2. Bring about an inch of water to a simmer in your saucepan on a high fire.
3. Take a heatproof mixing bowl and add the butter, milk and dark chocolate to the mixing bowl.
4. Place the heatproof bowl on top of the saucepan. The heat from the water in the saucepan will melt the ingredients in the heatproof bowl without burning the ingredients.
5. Once everything is melted you remove the heatproof bowl from the saucepan and you turn down the fire.
6. Mix everything together with a whisk and let it cool down until it reaches room temperature.
7. Take a big mixing bowl. Add the egg whites together with the sugar.
8. Mix everything together with a whisk until you get a white foamy mass. The mixing with the whisk can take up to 10 minutes.
9. Pour your chocolate mixture in the mixing bowl of the eggs and the sugar.
10. Mix everything together, carefully, with a spatula.
11. Add the flour to your mixing bowl and mix everything together with a spatula.
12. Take your baking mold (I prefer using a springform pan) and a piece of parchment/baking paper to your baking mold.
13. Pour your mixture/dough into the baking mold on top of the parchment/baking paper.
14. Place your baking mold in the oven for about 40 minutes.
15. After 40 minutes, take your pie out of the oven and let it cool down inside the baking mold.
16. In the meanwhile, we will make the glazing.
For the glazing:
1. Bring about an inch of water to a simmer in your saucepan on a high fire.
2. Take a heatproof mixing bowl and add the butter and the dark chocolate to the mixing bowl.
3. Place the heatproof bowl on top of the saucepan. The heat from the water in the saucepan will melt the ingredients in the heatproof bowl without burning the ingredients.
4. Once everything is melted you remove the heatproof bowl from the saucepan and you add the icing sugar while stirring the mixture. Turn down your fire.
5. After mixing everything together you let it cool down for another 3 minutes.
6. In the meanwhile, you cut the half of your smarties in pieces.
7. Get your pie out of the baking mold and pour the glazing on top.
8. Place the smarties on top of the glazing of your pie.
9. I like to place my pie in the fridge and I take the pie out 40 minutes before serving.